Local cauliflower, peaches and mint – ahh – the pleasures of summer. This recipe from Foodland Ontario can be served as a hearty salad or as a side dish for grilled poultry, fish or meat. Pine nuts could be added to give the dish a more Sicilian feel.
Roasted Cauliflower with Peaches, Raisins and Mint
• 1 Ontario Cauliflower, cut into florets
• 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground coriander
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
• 8 cloves Ontario Garlic, minced
• 4 Ontario Peaches, pitted and quartered
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) golden raisins
• Half bunch Ontario Mint, leaves torn
• 2 tbsp (25 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) sherry or red wine vinegar
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Bring large pot of salted water to boil. In 2 batches, blanch cauliflower for 1 minute; transfer to bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain.
In large bowl, combine cauliflower, coriander, vegetable oil and garlic, mixing to coat well. Tear off 2 large pieces of foil. Divide cauliflower mixture between the 2 pieces. Wrap and seal to make 2 packets. Place on grill over medium-high heat; cook for 10 minutes, turning once. Remove from grill; let stand for 5 minutes.
In large bowl, combine cauliflower, peaches, raisins, mint, oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
Nutrition information per serving:
• Calories: 286
• Protein: 6 grams
• Fat: 14 grams
• Carbohydrates: 37 grams
• Fibre: 7 grams
• Sodium: 110 mg
What’s your favorite local summer vegetable or fruit? What about herb?