Greek Yogurt with Honey and Sliced Almonds- So simple, so delicious

ee-GreekYogurt-Honey&BerriesHere’s one of my favourite ways to eat Greek yogurt. It’s my current go-to afternoon snack. It fits the bill perfectly: it’s both filling and satisfying, tiding me over until dinner. It’s also really delicious!

Heating the honey – if you have a microwave available – allows for it to disperse more evenly through the yogurt, making it easy to use less. But it will still be delicious if you don’t heat the honey.

As well, when you buy sliced almonds, for maximum nutrition, look for unblanched varieties. I toast up a batch of the almonds in my toaster oven and keep them in my fridge.

Greek Yogurt with Honey and Sliced Almonds

Makes 1 serving

1- 2 tsp honey
1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp toasted sliced almonds

Heat the honey in a small microwavable dish for about 10 to 12 seconds, or until runny.

Drizzle honey over the yogurt and top with sliced almonds.

Nutrition information per serving
• Calories: 180
• Protein: 15 grams
• Fat: 7 grams
• Saturated fat: 1 gram
• Carbohydrate: 16 grams
• Dietary fibre: 2 grams
• Sodium: 47 milligrams

l
Do you have a favourite Greek or strained yogurt preparation to share?

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: Recipes

Author:Rosie Schwartz

Rosie Schwartz is a Toronto-based consulting dietitian and writer.

Get Enlightened Eater in your inbox

Subscribe to get the latest nutrition news, fresh recipes and more!

8 Comments on “Greek Yogurt with Honey and Sliced Almonds- So simple, so delicious”

1. March 28, 2014 at 4:00 am #

Tasty………..seems to be healthy………….#wordpress!

2. Kathy
    March 28, 2014 at 5:15 am #

FYI

Have a great and healthy day! Mom feltmate@nbnet.nb.ca

3. Paula
    March 28, 2014 at 6:30 am #

my favourite -greek yogurt -few drops of local maple syrup -partially thawed mixed frozen berries (plain-no sugar), chopped walnuts………better than any ice cream sundae!

4. Paulette
    March 28, 2014 at 11:17 am #

My favourite prep is the plain yogurt with a dollop (rounded tsp) of red currant Jam. I can only enjoy this for a short time each year when a friend of mine makes red currant jam and gives me a couple of jars. It is so good! Second choice is mashing up an extra small banana (under 6″) chop in a couple of pieces of candied ginger (~10-15 g) and lightly mixing in 100 g of Greek yogurt.

5. March 28, 2014 at 12:29 pm #

Paula and Paulette, both of your combos sound delicious. I ill definitely give them a try. Thanks for sharing them!

6. Sheryl Murray
    March 28, 2014 at 7:36 pm #

Add some berries and you have one of my fave breakfasts:)

7. March 28, 2014 at 10:24 pm #

That sounds delicious, Sheryl! Is your Greek yogurt one of the varieties with a higher protein count? It’s key if it’s your breakfast protein option.

8. March 30, 2014 at 5:23 am #

Nice snack. Looks good, too.